Thursday, April 17, 2008

Unfit to be tied

For a dog like me, leashes are a fact of life. But if I’m going to be on one end of that leash, there better be a human on the other end. Nothing is more demeaning than being tied up to a sign post or a street lamp, as if an inanimate object has better discretion than I do. At least I can tell the difference between my owner and a potential abductor. Tethered to a parking meter, I’m a sitting duck for any dognapper walking down the street. When a stranger tries to steal me, is the parking meter going to come to my defense? I don’t think so (when has a parking meter ever helped anybody?).

This is a real problem. You can’t go a month without reading a story in the paper about a dog that was stolen when his or her owner went into a store and left him or her outside. It would be nice to live in a world where we could trust others. Unfortunately, we don’t.

Here’s a little thought experiment: Ask yourself, “What would I be willing to leave out on a street unattended?” Your wallet or your purse? Your bicycle? A bag of groceries? I bet you answered “no” to all those questions. So if you don’t trust people not to take your bicycle, why would you trust them not to take your dog? It’s a lot harder to replace a dog than a bicycle. In fact, you can’t replace us; each dog is one of a kind!

2 comments:

sc3 said...

Hello Willis,

You may be "unfit to be tied", but sometime I am "fit to be tied." I have seen dogs tied to posts in the city, and it disturbs me. You can see in their eyes that they are frightened and desperate for their owners to return. Unfortunately, the owners don't seem to be aware of the stress their pets experience in their absence. Not to mention the possibility of being stolen. I'm sure you can imagine how terrifying that would be. Willis, do you have any advise about what someone should do when they see a dog tied to a lamp post, alone and frightened?

shitzu95 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.